Friday, January 23, 2009

...a Homeowner: it all falls apart

After this past week, I've learned that there's no way in hell I would've survived being born before, oh, probably 1920. Right now, we're having a hot water issues. The hot water ranges from warm but freezing my ass off to warm i'm not shivering. Our dryer has suddenly ceased to work, which is at least easier to deal with because we have a drying rack.

You're probably wondering why hasn't she just gotten them fixed?

Easier said than done, right now. I'm fairly sure that if we could just get one of our fathers over here, they could probably figure it out. So I hate to pay for something that we could, conceivably, figure out how to fix on our own. But, I've just about hit my limit with the hot-water issue, so I may have to break down and call someone. I'm also a little worried we'll hear something like- 'well, you're just going to have to replace the whole thing'. Which has already happened this year with our oil tank ("did you know it's been leaking into your basement?").

09 hasn't been the best year so far. The house seems to be falling apart bit by bit. The refinance we were hoping for may not happen as our house has apparently dropped over 20% in value thanks to the current economy, despite improvements that we've made. It's damn cold. Our house is just under 100 years...so needless to say does not have all the modern niceties of, say, real R18 insulation, in some areas of the house.

But, it's just a house, and it's just money. It will work itself out. I have my health, the kids are healthy...it could be worse. I'm thankful that JB isn't in danger of losing his job, as so many are right now. I'm thankful that business hasn't slowed down, but instead has been busier than I anticipated. I'm thankful my cars are running, and our families are also in good health. And last but not least, I'm thankful that I have a good friend who has kindly offered me a hot shower and dryer facilities. I'll be over soon.

No comments: