Sunday, September 14, 2008

...a Mom "Meatloaf, smeatloaf..."

My youngest R (soon to be middle) is something else. At times he reminds me of the littlest boy from "Mr. Mom"- who, upon needing to give up his beloved woobie tells his dad "I just need... a moment... to myself please." At other times he reminds me of one of the boys from "Overboard"- the one who throws grapes at Goldie Hawn's character ("She needs to eat! A buh-buh, a buh-buh...").

But he's always original. To preface this story, I have to say that R's got some food issues. It can't have a crust, a different color (ie: any brown-ness from being cooked)- it has to be "naked" as he puts it (I have no idea where this came from). So getting him to eat at times can be challenging. So yesterday, instead of giving him a bologna sandwich, he got "bologna hotdog"- a rolled up slice of said sandwich meat), crunchy carrots (neither boy will eat them cooked) and a grilled cheese, no crust. The grilled cheese went without an issue, the carrots took a while, but the bologna wasn't getting eaten. Apparently there was a crust on it. The kid is whack. So I exasperatedly tell him for the 1000th time that there is no crust on it and it needs to get eaten or he won't be able to join in the game that Dad and X are playing. To which he replies, "I hate it, I hate it and I'm not going to eat it." It's a simple statement- no yelling just a matter of fact, "I hate it".

I have to turn away before he sees me laugh- with refrains of "A Christmas Story" running through my head "Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf." Needless to say, the husband chuckle about it over the course of the night- using it as a response to a number of things. As long as you're not rude about it, it's good for a laugh. Try it.

And yes, he did eventually eat it. Mom (amost) always wins.

No comments: