Monday, September 8, 2008

...a Preggo: Sick, Sick, Sick

So at 37+ weeks, I've been struck down by a cold. Normally I'm not a wimp-cold, schmold- but this has knocked me on my butt and then some! Fever, stuffy, not sleeping, you name it. I've almost lost my sense of smell and taste. On Friday it was so bad, I got up and thought evil things about my husband- "HOW could he not make me any coffee ?!? I saw him drinking it earlier...*insert various names here*" Turns out, he did make me coffee- I just couldn't smell it. At all. Not even standing right next to the pot. Lucky for me there's a red light on there to indicate it's on, or it might've burned up in the pot. Yesterday- I couldn't taste my favorite guilty pleasure- potato chips and french onion dip. All I could taste was salt. Very disappointing.

After an hour and a half of waiting, sick, at the Drs the other day for my 5 minute appointment (a rant for another time) I did get the OK to use real nasal spray, but don't want to use it unless I really have to (at night mostly), but I've found that the new cold formula medicines are a crock. And a half. As it turns out, even though pseudophedrine can be made into various nefarious drugs (note my super cool rhyming), it really is the best medicine for a cold. I think I'd sell my soul right now to be able to take some real Co-Advil without any adverse side effects to the baby. The new drug that's in all the cold medicines now- there's studies doubting it's effectiveness (which I find not at all surprising, because taking it I was wondering the same thing "Does this crap really even work???" and then googling it to find out that it's probably not effective at the dosage in the medicines). However, you know what it does work really well for?

Hemmorhoids.

That's right- the main ingredient in the new cold medicines is the same thing in Preparation H.

Huh. I don't know what to do with this new-found knowledge, but it sure is interesting.

No comments: